Tony Bulandra Theater is involved in the European project Numeric`s Art Puppetry Project, a project co-financed by the Creative Europe program. The other partners are: Le Centre de la Marionnette de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles (project coordinator), the Puppet Theater from Ljubljana, Slovenia and Festival Mondial de Théâtres de Marionnettes from Charleville-Mézières, France.
Digitalization has become a priority in the cultural sphere, but there are rare cases when it encounters working with puppets. Between 2017 and 2020, the project aims to bring together artists and spectators from across Europe to discover, create and experience what can be born from the connection between the art of puppetry and digital art.
- To allow artists and the public to discover the creative possibilities of digital technologies;
- To make the new public interested in the contemporary practices of the puppet arts;
- To contribute to the professionalization and specialization of puppet artists in digital art;
- To determine the hybrid experiments between puppets and new technologies and to support their use by artists, public and researchers;
- To encourage the free movement of artists across Europe and to encourage the exchange of techniques;
- To stimulate the use of an interactive web platform for online sharing and learning (e-learning);
- To improve the foundations of puppet art structures throughout Europe for the establishment of innovative projects.
The project has been carried out so far according to the schedule of activities, which included colloquiums, workshops, views, shows, round tables, open-rehearsals with the public.
At the Tony Bulandra Theater, between June 7th to 9th 2019, there was a working meeting attended by: Françoise Flabat, director of Centre de la Marionnette and Conservatrice du Musée des arts de la Marionnette, together with Jean Bankofski, responsible for cultural projects and European projects; Uroš Korenčan, director of the Puppet Theater in Ljubljana; Anne-Françoise Cabanis, director of Festival Mondial de Théâtres de Marionnettes from Charleville-Mézières with Maxence Rocheteau, administrative manager.
Between September 1st and 5th 2019, Tony Bulandra Theater is organizing a working residence to familiarize with the stereoscopic 3D animation technique. The role of residence and concrete results:
- The training of young actors from the Tony Bulandra Theater in the field of digital arts and puppetry, in order to create a work-in-progress show, a hybrid show that combines the art of puppet handling with the new digital art elements;
- The residence allows the work on the synthetic images that will be the basis of the virtual stereoscopic set for the theatrical production “Cernozaurii”, which will enter the repertoire of the Tony Bulandra Theater, a production that will combine puppetry art with the stereoscopic synthesis image. The show will be viewable with stereoscopic 3D glasses;
- During the residency, puppeteer actors, as well as technicians from the Tony Bulandra Theater will work with Armand Richelet (specialist in 3D technologies) and Radu Dinulescu (theater director). During the implementation of this activity, some rehearsals will be open to the general public.
rehearsal CERNOZAURII – a project N.A.P.P.